Tuesday, March 16, 2010

1,000 Words

Working on a little project here, you, if you so choose, get to be part of the audience. The project is to write. Anything. Just write. If you want to get good at writing, you have to do it. Just write.
........................................................................................................................................................................
1,000 words. How long will it take to fill the page? Michael Hyatt says to begin writing, you need to set some goals. Weekly or daily goals. These goals can be by times or by word count. The point is, if you want to write, you need to do it. Write. Spend time writing. I want to do that. Set some goals, write some stuff. I’m thinking of asking a few of the people who know me best to give me topic or two to write about, then give myself a certain amount of time to write about it.
The reason I think this might be a good way to start, is that I actually enjoy reading what I write. That isn’t meant to sound proud or anything, but if I know about the topic I’m writing about, I feel like the things I write are decent. Mostly, I feel best about writing things that the Lord has shown me. To encourage others to live a little better is always what charges my batteries.
I need to learn more about sentence structure, proper punctuation and how to get my thoughts across in a more articulate way. Michael says to be open to criticism.

.........................................................................................................................................................................
Have you ever had a time when you someone told you something about yourself you didn’t like? The first thing out of your mouth is totally unfiltered. Once it’s out, you can’t believe you said it, and after a mere two second worth of thought more, you realize you spoke truth to yourself? Maybe you didn’t like that truth, but there it was. God has a way of showing us where we are even when we’re not asking. I think the way we really notice is to have already asked God to show us when we’re having a “Teachable moment”. They can get away from us really fast If we’re not paying attention.

My last “Teachable moment” came when I was being particularly cranky and brutish to my husband. He said to me that “You’re so nice to everyone else and you’re not nice to me”, to which I tartly replied “I stay away from other people when I’m not nice, I can’t stay away from you.” Ouch. Did I say that? Indeed. That was almost three days ago. Not an hour has gone by since that I haven’t thought about that statement. How not nice is that?

Lord, help me to filter better, or better yet, have thoughts that don’t have to be filtered. Could you help me to “Be ye kind”?

No comments: